Psychology

A choral director whom I deeply respect once said the following to me: "Hands down, the most important thing I did for my teaching career was getting my masters in psychology. The level of understanding is invaluable."
She truly saw how barriers could be broken down in the classroom, and she was able to connect with students individually and as a group. This enabled her to know what was going on with each student, what their story was. She then became intensely perceptive, and could tell the mood of the class and the individual on a daily basis. She would stop in the middle of a song, and have us stretch, sigh, or change songs completely based on this perception.
What better way to define "the third bubble"? What better way to achieve focus and connection in a choir?

No comments: